Happy 4th of July!! Today, I’m 34 weeks – so close, yet so far way. We are finishing up the nursery (pictures to come soon) and have everything but the glider, which will be here when my mother makes her next visit! The car seat has been installed, the breast pump and stroller have arrived and I am registered at the hospital. I am attempting to pick at least one task to complete per week so that I don’t get overwhelmed at the end. I plan on packing my hospital bag next and have pinned every list I can find on Pinterest. It seems like you need so many things for so little time away from home (hopefully). I’m probably overpacking as always.
Our class has officially graduated from residency! It has been so bittersweet watching my co-residents pack up and move for their jobs and for fellowship. With chief year, it doesn’t seem as real for me since I will be with the program another year. We are 2 months into chiefing and have finished orienting the interns. Can you believe it’s already July?
Now, I am concentrating on studying for boards (when pregnancy insomnia doesn’t sabotage my efforts). I am mainly focusing on questions (Pedialink and MedStudy) while keeping a question log to keep me focused. I plan on adding more reading and some videos once Teddy gets here. Any new moms take boards and have advice they’d like to offer? I am all ears!
I have been really hesitant to add any new beauty products to my beauty regimen while pregnant. I still get my Sephora PLAY! box every month and am always excited to see what is inside. The May box theme was “Rising Stars” and the June box theme was “Summer Starters”. Luckily, I was able to try most of the products I received.
May Play Box – “Rising Stars”
- Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask: This is a product that I am going to hold off on trying until after Teddy arrives but it has great reviews online!
- Milk Makeup Blur Stick: Can I be honest? I have never understood the primer hype. I don’t notice much of a difference with any primer and this one is the same. It does blend into the skin easily and the stick makes it easy to apply. I didn’t notice a big difference in the size of my pores or how long my makeup lasted.
- GrandeLips Hydrating Lip Plumper: This was a clear lip gloss with ingredients that hydrate and plump the lips. I liked the clear sheen that the gloss had and it did seem to hydrate as my lips slowly absorbed the product. There is a slight tingly feeling when you first apply the gloss that fades and my lips seemed slightly “plumper”.
- Christophe Robin Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt: This is a detoxifying shampoo with sea salt to cleanse the hair and scalp of oil and product build up. It has a nice lather and seems to clean my hair well, but no more than most shampoos I’ve used. However, I have to admit, I love the smell of this product. Due to the $52 price tag, I likely won’t be purchasing a full size but will be scraping the sides of the sample to get as much use out of it as possible.
- Trestique Highlight Stick: I have occasionally used this product over the past month and like its subtle sheen. Its easy to apply and blends well with a pink undertone that pairs well on top of blush. I still use the Marc Jacobs Dew Drops Coconut Gel highlighter that I reviewed here on most days to fake a pregnancy glow and camouflage my tired skin.
- Black Tulip by Nest Perfume: I don’t like sweet, floral perfumes so this was an immediate no for me. Does anyone want all of my sample perfumes that I have lying around?
June Play Box – “Summer Starters”
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick: I love Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks. It is long lasting without drying out my lips. In the winter, I always reach for my Lolita tube. I received K-Dub in this box, which is a bold fushia color – perfect for summer!
- Tarteguard 20 Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen: I received the shade medium, which matched my skin well and it was easy to blend. It is light coverage, just as you would expect with a tinted moisturizer. It would be great for a pool day or running errands without a full face of makeup. However, I don’t think it has enough coverage for everyday use.
- Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 30 PA+++: Another primer, but at least it has SPF. I liked the smell and it was also easy to blend. Some of the reviews online talked about it balling up under makeup. I did not have this problem but used a very small amount. I also didn’t notice much “blurring” with this product. Definitely won’t be purchasing a full size of this one.
- Bumble and Bumble Bb Don’t Blow It Fine (H)air Styler: My hair is naturally wavy and therefore can get frizzy. For this reason, I always curl or straighten my hair. I would love to find a good product to tame the frizz and create natural air-dried waves, so I had high hopes for this product. There are video instructions on Sephora’s website that I attempted to follow. I brushed my hair, applied the product from mid-length to the ends and then twisted my hair into large curls. Though this product came close to taming the frizz and holding my curls, I’m still not sold. My hair still frizzed when I went outside but it did hold most of the curl. I’ll try it a few more times until the bottle is empty but I won’t be repurchasing it.
- Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Avocado LeaveIn Defining Creme: I followed the same routine above with this product. It did come a little closer to taming the frizz and also held the curl. I plan on trying it a few more times to see if I can perfect the technique. I would definitely recommend this curl cream of the Bumble and Bumble one above.
- Alien by Mugler Perfume: This perfume smells interesting and lasts a long time. Its still a floral scent but not as sweet. It might grow on me.
I also received an Influenster VoxBox this month with Givenchy Noir Interdit Mascara. The wand has a 90° bendable brush that I can’t wait to try. Expect a review soon!